2016 Makeup; Here’s what’s Making a Comeback
Makeup has been a wild ride since 2016! We have seen trends come and go, but we are about to go full circle as some of the most iconic makeup trends from 2016 may make a comeback this year.
We may be about to say goodbye to the natural makeup looks of the last few years where we’ve seen the “no-makeup-makeup” look, the “clean-girl makeup” and glowy, glossy skin looks that have catered mainly to those with naturally clearer skin. It’s time to embrace the return of the full glam makeup of the past; the era of the “Instagram Baddie” makeup is back.
We never thought this day would come, but like everything in Fashion and Beauty, trends always circle back. With this particular trend, there’s a focus on bolder, brighter looks. In the past few years, popular makeup looks have been neutral eyes, ‘barely-there foundation or tinted moisturiser and lip oil, whereas 2016 was an era of creativity. Neutrals can be great and we’ve since seen how well they’ve served for everyday, wearable makeup looks, however, it is great to see people going back to having fun with the way they express themselves through makeup using a bolder range of colours, textures and styles.
So, what do we have in store for this comeback? We’re talking full-coverage foundation, cream contouring, setting sprays and glitter eyeshadows. Gone are the days of only bronzing and back are the days of layering on your highlighter – why not try cream highlight instead of powder highlight for a more seamless look?
These looks have been modernized and made, arguably, more wearable. So don’t worry if you’re not quite convinced about this comeback, there are still ways to bring in some of these trends without going overboard. Try adding a pop of colour to your look with a bright lip instead of a bold eyeshadow colour or, if you’re feeling daring, you can even try adding a brown winged liner to add variation to your cat-eye to create a subtle, yet sexy look.
These trends bring a nostalgic feel to makeup and are a reminder to keep it light-hearted and fun. After all, what’s the point of wearing makeup if you don’t enjoy it? Here’s to embracing the trends of the past and here are some recommendations on products you can use to create your fun new looks:
1. The Aurora Palette I –
This palette gives options for all the looks you may want to explore from the neutrals to the bold shimmers. This palette has the perfect shades for whatever mood you are in.
2. Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil – This was a cult favourite thanks to Youtube and Tiktok Content Creator Jackie Aina and we are happy to see the comeback of these fun colour additions to our makeup looks.
3. NYX Professional Makeup Shine Loud High Pigment Long Lasting Lip Shine Lip Gloss – Liquid lipsticks were everything and more in 2016 so this long-wear, transfer-proof lipstick and gloss embraces the bests of both worlds!
4. Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Setting Spray – Making sure our makeup didn’t budge was key in 2016, especially with all the layers we had on our faces. This cult favourite is essential to every makeup bag as it locks in your makeup all day. To take this an extra step spray your beauty sponge before blending out any products on your face for even better results.
5. Rare Beauty Silky Touch Highlighter – In 2016 the Becca highlighter champagne pop had us all in a chokehold and this Rare Beauty Highlighter is giving Becca a run for its money. Not only is there a range of shades for different skin tones the formula is so buttery and blendable that it’s been sold out since its launch.
6. Fenty Beauty Match Stix – The days of ‘brontouring’ (contouring with bronzer) are over we are going back to the basics of actually using cooler tone products to contour as it was intended. The Fenty Beauty Match Stix are the best to give you that perfect shade contour with easy application and blend.
The amazing thing about this trend is that it is inclusive; you can participate no matter the texture or condition of your skin and we are here for it. So, if you’re looking for a way to enhance your makeup looks this spring/summer, get ready to embrace the looks of 2016 potentially making a comeback. Let’s bring back the bold and beautiful looks from this time and show the world that you can be both glamorous and fierce!
If you try any looks don’t forget to tag us on Instagram @shopkem.
By Lola Alexandra